Schools & Organisations

Dysgraphia – Schools, Education Centres, Tutors

It is difficult to advise on the type of school you should be looking for, as every child’s education needs are so different. For the majority of children, they will go to the school in their immediate vicinity. But specialist schooling for students’ with dyslexia/dysgraphia is slightly different because there is not usually a lot of choices.

It is essential that the right school is identified for your child. Sometimes, although a school is very close to your home, it may not always be the best one for your child’s individual needs. Visit all the schools in your area and see what specialist provision they can offer.

Schools for Dyslexia/Dysgraphia and other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD's)

There are many different types of schools, including:

  • Mainstream schools (your local school).
  • The Independent Sector.
  • Schools specialising in Dyslexia.
  • Schools for Deaf Children.
  • Schools for Blind Children.

State Schools – Mainstream

The majority of schools in the UK are operated by the government/LEAs. Most of these are ordinary mainstream schools.

Even if children have special needs, i.e., dyslexia, dysgraphia etc., the child usually stays in mainstream schooling; this is considered best for the child and the family. It is only in extreme cases (if the school cannot meet the needs of the individual child) that they would go to a specialist school. Some mainstream schools have units attached to them for dyslexia, dysgraphia etc., or therapists and other specialists can come to the school on a regular basis.

In the UK, a booklet is available from your Local Education Authority (LEA) with a list of all schools in your area. 

Schools  that Specialise in Dyslexia/Dysgraphia

The majority of schools in the UK, which specialise in dyslexia/dysgraphia, are private. (At the moment, I think there are only a few in the state sector.) Some of these schools are just for dyslexic pupils (with additional SpLD’s); the others have dyslexic units attached to them.

These schools are usually the best place for children with severe dyslexia. Children who attend these schools thoroughly enjoy themselves because they are ‘the same’ as everyone else. The majority of these schools take students for a period (approximately two years), and then the children usually go back into mainstream schooling.


Independent Schools Council (ISC)

These schools are approved by the Independent Schools Council (ISC) and the Council for the Registration of Schools.

For further information on the Independent Schools Council, please go to ISC.

‘Register of Schools’

CReSTeD’s main activity is to maintain a “Register of Schools” which provide teaching provision for pupils with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD).

This information is supplied free of charge to parents and those who are responsible for choosing a child’s education.

For further information, go to CReSTeD.

List of all Local Educational Authorities (LEA’s)

Find schools, emails, headteachers and addresses in the UK. Lookup LEAs, DfES Performance Information and OFSTED Reports.

For further information, go to ‘All the Schools’ – LEA’s.

All Local Authority (LEA’s) Websites

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.

This list points to the website of each Local Education Authority.   Local Authority has records of its schools and details of application procedures.

In For further information, go to School Web Directory.


Specialist Tutors

Teachers qualified to teach dyslexic students with learning difficulties take further specialist training. Therefore it is essential to ensure that tutors you pick are suitably qualified to teach you/your child.

There are many private tutors who work from home in the evening. Lessons take place after school. If you want to find a tutor, word of mouth is the best recommendation.

If you are looking for a specialist tutor, please make sure they:

  • Are suitably qualified with a SpLD qualification?
  • Regularly update their knowledge with suitable courses?
  • Have references available- and do not be embarrassed at asking to see them?
  • Have Certificates confirming police checks – and make sure these are up-to-date?

When teaching, does the teacher:

  • Use a multi-sensory programme such as Hickey, Alpha to Omega etc?
  • Feel qualified to undertake further assessments, as necessary?
  • Have computer software to reinforce what the child has learnt and to stop the child from being bored?
  • Follow the recommendations from any psychologist’s, school reports etc that are available?
  • Liaise with the school as necessary?
  • Give homework each week?
  • Test at regular intervals to ensure progress is being made?
  • Give out regular progress reports and do they charge extra for them?
Educational Psychologists can test for Dysgraphia

Educational Psychologists specialise in assessing people with Dysgraphia or other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs). Psychologists sometimes work for educational authorities, private companies or they may work on their own.

Educational Psychologists are specially trained to test students having learning difficulties.  It is essential to ensure that psychologist’s qualifications are up-to-date, and he has full insurance to assess you/your child.

Tests can take place in an office, workplace, home or on school premises, whichever is best suited for the student.

If you are looking for an independent psychologist, please make sure they:

  • Are ‘Educational’ Psychologists – i.e., specialises in specific learning difficulties (SpLDs).
  • Are ‘Chartered’ Psychologists – (meaning they are insured.)
  • Regularly update their knowledge with suitable courses.
  • Have references available – and do not be embarrassed at asking to see them.
  • Have Certificates confirming police checks – and make sure these are up-to-date.

If you want to find a psychologist, word of mouth is the best recommendation.  Otherwise, you can see a list of educational psychologists from the various organisations below:

The British Psychology Society, further information here.

Educational Psychologists further information here.

Psychologist UK, further information here.