Dysgraphia and Technology
There is so much technology that can help with dysgraphia, but many parents are often totally confused with what to purchase first. I have listed a selection of computer software, which is specifically designed to help students with dysgraphia and has been shown to be very useful.
Voice Recognition Software
Dysgraphia & Voice Recognition Software (VRS) / Speech Recognition Software (SRS)
One of the main leaders in this market is a company called, ‘Nuance’, it publishes software called: Dragon Naturally Speaking – and it is brilliant!
Dragon Naturally Speaking is so easy to use, and for the first time, students can do their homework without the usual stress levels that go along with it. While this takes a little getting used to, it is very much worth the small amount of effort involved initially.
This is what the parent’s of a youngster said, as soon as their son used this software:
The first assignment our son wrote using Naturally Speaking was so amazing, we had trouble believing he’d written it himself! Being able to ‘talk’ his ideas into the computer allowed his words to flow easily from his mind to the word processor. He began, dare I say, ‘enjoying’ his writing assignments.”
Have a look at the link Dragon Naturally Speaking and see what you think?
Dragon Naturally Speaking
If you or your child has dyslexia, enough is enough. There’s no need to spend another minute using a keyboard or a mouse, struggling to get ideas into words and spending hours trying to get that essay correct only to be given low marks for the work completed and the presentation.
Voice Recognition Software (VRS) – Work Planner & Checklist
When you are given a homework assignment/report etc., first thing is ‘Don’t Panic’.
1. Just turn your Voice Recognition Software on.
2. Think about what you want to say, don’t worry about getting things in the correct order
3. Just talk into the headset – and the words will appear on the screen
4. No need to worry about spelling because the software, corrects it for you as you go along.
5. No need to worry about getting the grammar (sentence structure) correct as it will correct this as you go along
6. When you are finished, you can look at your work and ‘proof’ (check) it by asking for ‘playback’
7. Playback shows you, your typed up version, see if there are things you want to change
8. Just add or change anything you want
9. Print out or email it to your tutor.
Let Voice Recognition Software (VRS) Control your entire computer
Not only that, but you can also ask it to control your whole computer, for instance, you can:
1. Send an email
2. Browse the web
3. Go to Facebook and add/change things
4. Shop online
5. And more or less anything else you want it to do.
If you were only to have one piece of software on your computer, this would be the piece I would put on.
If you would like to purchase Dragon Naturally Speaking, to their website at Dragon Naturally Speaking
Apps for Dysgraphia
Download the App – take a photo of any worksheet and follow the directions below. Excellent App and very easy to use.
- Type – Tap anywhere on the screen to add text using the iPad keyboard.
- Draw – Use a finger to draw lines on a worksheet.
- Share – Send completed worksheets to a teacher by email, print directly from the iPad, or upload to Google Drive.
- Store – Conveniently store worksheets in the iPad. No more lost papers!
Assignment and Homework Tracker and Planner. The most straightforward solution to track and organise your school life. The only app made by students; for students! This has excellent reviews (4+).
This is an excellent grammar checker. Checks, spelling, and all grammar thereby enhancing your writing.
Please accept my apologies but this page is being up-dated at the moment.