dyscalculia disabled student’s allowance (dsa)

Maths_BoardIf you think you may have dyscalculia, and are a student in higher education (or intending to go) you may be able to claim ‘Disabled Students’ Allowance’ (DSA). You can use this to pay for specialist equipment or tuition.

Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) is available for students in the UK, who are studying for a full-time course at university, (this may also apply to the Open University).

You will need to have a full educational psychologist report or diagnostic assessment. If this shows positive for dyslexia / dyscalculia, a grant of approximately £5,000 is available and can be used to pay for specialist equipment and tuition (including study skills). This grant is not ‘means tested’.

The reason for these extra provisions is because dyslexic students often take much longer to complete their work. These extra allowances, give them a ‘level playing field’.

The application form for Disabled Student’s Allowance can be downloaded from: DirectGov, Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA).

Problems filling in the form? Anyone with learning difficulties would agree that filling forms in are usually difficult. But, help is at hand, thanks to Liz Norton and the superb team at the Student Enabling Centre, University of Wolverhampton. Ms Norton found many of her students were complaining about the problems of filling in the DSA1 form. So working with an E Developer at the University of Wolverhampton, they produced some support-on-line designed specifically to help dyslexic students. By clicking on the link below it will take you to the form, where you can be guided, page by page through the form. It can be found at:http://www.wlv.ac.uk/files/flash/DSA-guide_2007-08.swf

flowersA very big Thank You to Liz and the rest of the team.

‘dyslexia and other learning difficulties – a parent’s guide’ – book

My book: ‘Dyslexia and Other Learning Difficulties – A Parent’s Guide’ has been updated and re-released in January 2010. It contains extensive information on dyslexia, dysgraphia and other specific learning difficulties (SpLDs).

For a fuller description of ‘Dyslexia and Other Learning Difficulties – A Parent’s Guide’ please click here.


‘dyslexia and alternative therapies’ – book

My book: ‘Dyslexia and Alternative Therapies’ contains information on a wide range of alternative therapies and the way they can help people with dyslexia, dysgraphia and other specific learning difficulties (SpLDs).

For a fuller description of ‘Dyslexia and Alternative Therapies’ please click here.