Dysgraphia – disabled students’ allowances

HandwritingIf you think you may have dysgraphia, and are student in higher education (or intending to go) you may be able to claim ‘Disabled Students’ Allowance’ (DSA). You can use this to pay for specialist equipment or tuition.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is available for students in the UK, who are studying for a full-time course at university, (this may also apply to the Open University).

You will need to have a full educational psychologist report. If this shows positive for dyslexia / dysgraphia a grant of approximately £5,000 is available and can be used to pay for specialist equipment and tuition (including study skills). This grant is not ‘means tested’.

The reason for these extra provisions is because dyslexic students often take much longer to complete their work. These extra allowances, give them a ‘level playing field’.

The psychologists we use are fully qualified and independent professionals with a great deal of experience of Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Nonverbal Learning Difficulties (NLD), Cerebral Ataxia and other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs).

As many people are aware, many of these benefits are changing and you will have to keep checking to see what the position is as of the date of your claim.