dyslexia disabled student’s allowance (DSA)

Lettere01gorgoIf you think you may have Dyslexia, and are student in higher education (or intending to go) you may be able to claim ‘Disabled Students’ Allowance’ (DSA). You can use this to pay for specialist equipment or tuition.

Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) is available for students in the UK, who are studying for a full-time (and some part-time) courses at university. In certain condition, you may also be able to get the DLA for The Open University.

You will need to have a full educational psychologist report. If this shows positive for dyslexia / dyscalculia, a grant of approximately £5,000 is available and can be used to pay for specialist equipment and tuition (including study skills). Specialist equipment could include: computer, software, printer, scanner and recording equipment. This grant is not ‘means tested’.

The reason for these extra provisions is because dyslexic students often take much longer to complete their work. These extra allowances, give them a ‘level playing field’.

The psychologists we use are fully qualified and independent professionals with a great deal of experience of Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Nonverbal Learning Difficulties (NLD), Cerebral Ataxia and other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs).