dyslexia specialist schools


It is very difficult to advise on the type of school you should be looking for, as every child’s needs are so different. For the majority of children, they will go to the school in their immediate vicinity. But specialist schooling is slightly different because there is not usually a lot of choices.

It is important that the right school is identified for your child. Sometimes, although a school is on your doorstep, it may not always be the best one for your child’s individual needs. Visit all the schools in your area and see what specialist provision they can offer.

There are many different types of schools, including:

* Mainstream schools (your local school)
* The Independent Sector.
* Schools specialisting in Dyslexia.
* Schools for Deaf Children.
* Schools for Blind Children.

State Schools – Mainstream
The majority of schools in the UK are operated by the government/LEAs. Most of these are ordinary mainstream schools.

Even if children have special needs, i.e., dyslexia, dyspraxia etc., the child usually stays in mainstream schooling. This is considered best for the child and the family. It is only in extreme cases (if the school cannot meet the needs of the individual child) that they would go to a specialist school. Some mainstream schools have units attached to them for dyslexia etc., or therapists and other specialists can come to the school on a regular basis.

In the UK, a booklet is available from your Local Education Authority (LEA) with a list of all schools in your area.

Independent Schools
There are two main bodies that deal with the independent sector, CreSTed and ISIS.

Schools that Specialise in Dyslexia.
The majority of schools in the UK, which specialise in dyslexia, are private. (At the moment, I think there is just a couple in the state sector.) Some of these schools are only for dyslexic pupils; the others have dyslexic units attached to them.

These schools are usually the best place for children with severe dyslexia. Children who attend these schools thoroughly enjoy themselves because they are ‘the same’ as everyone else. The majority of these schools take students for a period (approximately two years), and then the children go back into mainstream schooling.

There are specialist schools for specific learning difficulties/dyslexia, which are approved by the Independent Schools Joint Council and the Council for the Registration of Schools.