Dyslexia – Psychologists

Educational Psychologists can test for dyslexia

Educational Psychologists specialise in assessing people with Dyslexia or other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs). Psychologists sometimes work for educational authorities, private companies or they may work on their own.

Educational Psychologists are specially trained to test students having learning difficulties.  It is essential to ensure that psychologist’s qualifications are up-to-date, and he has full insurance to assess you/your child.

Tests can take place in an office, workplace, home or on school premises, whichever is best suited for the student.

If you are looking for an independent psychologist, please make sure they:

* Are ‘Educational’ Psychologists – i.e., specialises in specific learning difficulties (SpLDs).
* Are ‘Chartered’ Psychologists – (meaning they are insured.)
* Regularly update their knowledge with suitable courses.
* Have references available – and do not be embarrassed at asking to see them.
* Have Certificates confirming police checks – and make sure these are up-to-date.

If you want to find a psychologist, word of mouth is the best recommendation.  Otherwise, you can see a list of educational psychologists from the various organisations below:

The British Psychology Society, further information here.

Educational Psychologists further information here.

Psychologist UK, further information here.